Monday, October 16, 2006

We always did that......on....

I know when I was a kid, the holidays were really special. It meant special gatherings, meals, foods, desserts and traditions. I still joke with my wife about the first Thanksgiving she met my family and we had manicotti instead of turkey. We were delighted, she was shocked. What traditions or foods did your family have or have now around the holidays that would be neat to tell others about in the comments section. I have to tell a holiday story on my great uncle, who one evening had Halloween goblins ring his doorbell. He did not speak English very well and stayed a little confused about America from time to time. This time, he hadn't remembered about Halloween and forgotten to get some candy. Concerned the kids would be hurt, he had to give them something. So, he gave them each 3 salsiccia, italian sausages, in their bag. I asked him how they reacted to that and he said with a shrug, they seemed happy. Share a tradition with us in the comments section, it's worth the effort...click the comments line below.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was in college before I learned that not everyone eats lasagna on Thanksgiving. My freshman year I was sitting in my dorm room with my friends, and everyone said they were excited to go home for Thanksgiving. I said I know, I can't wait for that lasagna. Everyone laughed and said they ate turkey on Thanksgiving. Confused, I said "We do! We have turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, green beans, lasagna, sausage, meatballs, pumpkin pie and cannolis." Gotta love being Italian-American!