Does it really matter..i believe so...I know so
Much of what we do every day falls into the category of insignificant. In the grand scheme of things, most of the things that drive us crazy are also in that category. But this still doesn't explain why we react to many of these as they are significant and important. But some things really do matter. They count and can make a difference for years to come. One such thing is occurring now, right in our midst. That is the work and efforts being done to open our new clubhouse. Certainly, we will enjoy the added space, the expanded services and room to grow. All of which I believe will be significant in our club's life for many years. But I believe the significance goes beyond today and the near future when we open. The real significance is the future we are building, a legacy, if you will, that could and hopefully will go on for tens if not hundreds of years. Now that's significant!! What we are building is the foundation of a club, not for us 60, 70 and 80 year olds, but for the next generation of 20, 30 and 40 year olds who love their heritage and all things Italian, for the Giovani Italiani. It may be naive to dream like the ancients who thought in terms of hundreds of years or centuries when they constructed their buildings, monuments and cathedrals. But it would be incredible if 50 years from now, there was a celebration to look back on the club's history, to celebrate the people, the accomplishments and the significance of what the members were doing and did do to open a new clubhouse in 2006, to preserve the Italian heritage, and all of the new activities both social/cultural that were started on their watch, and continue today, 50 years later. I think it could happen. I think it is up to us to write that history. I think whatever each of us does now will be significant in the life and history of the ICD, maybe for centuries to come.

No comments:
Post a Comment