Spring.....thru Italian eyes
When Spring comes, most Italians can't wait for ground temperatures to rise enough to get their pomodori pelati in the ground. Although that is nice, what gets me excited about Spring, is something entirely different. I get excited about the budding of my fig trees. By this time of year, leaves are fully formed and some figs are already on the tree. Figs get me excited. As long as I can remember, starting with my grandfather, my father and for years, me, there have been fig trees in our family. My father literally covered most of his backyard with fig trees. I can remember how his daily summertime schedule included picking his figs early in the morning. Make no mistake, they were "his" figs. Many Italians I know have used some plot of their land and planted their fig trees. From fresh, to preserves, or just included in il dolce, it is truly a delicious treat. If you have experienced a fig story, experience or recipe that you would like to share send it to my Fig Chronicles, a reference guide on figs. Figs@googlegroups.com
If your fig curiousity goes beyond that, use the search window below to find out even more about the homely little fruit. These Italian eyes see Spring in my fig tree.
size="-1">check out the Figs swicki at
If your fig curiousity goes beyond that, use the search window below to find out even more about the homely little fruit. These Italian eyes see Spring in my fig tree.
size="-1">check out the Figs swicki at


No comments:
Post a Comment